Monday, July 02, 2007

Crawling back out of the primordial ooze... without wires (hopefully)

It has been a long while. Since my last post, I've enjoyed my Alphagrip thoroughly as a World of Warcraft controller, but have not logged enough typing time to make any significant speed improvements. I've since quit World of Warcraft, in favor of spending (wasting) less time there, and more in the real world.

Despite my Alphagrip atrophy, however, I've been keeping up with what other fellow 'Grippers' are up to. One aspect of the AG-5 we've discussed and researched quite a bit is the fact that it is inherently mobile, and yet has a cord attached. Wireless USB doesn't appear to be ready for prime time yet, so I've suggested that an existing Bluetooth keyboard could be cannibalized and hacked into an AG-5.

I'm no electrical or industrial engineer, so this hack may turn out to be out of my league. I'm going to give it a try anyway though. My goals include:

1. Study the feasibility of a wireless Bluetooth AG-5 (AG-5W?) using the current model
2. Determine the feasibility of the wireless AG-5 as a community hack to existing models.
3. Document the process, come success or failure.
4. If successful with wireless, upgrade to rechargeable lithium-ion batteries with a modified base that charges the AG-5 when not in use.
5. Crossing my fingers and hoping for lots of luck.

--Adrian

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home